We don’t make a habit of posting job ads on this blog but on this occasion it seems appropriate. We are looking for an intern for ninne months working out of our San Francisco headquarters to be involved in looking after the post-publication activity on the PLoS ONE site. Generally getting involved in the community building aspects of the site and other similar functionality. Full job ad is below or can be found over at jobs at PLoS.
The Public Library of Science (PLoS), a nonprofit publisher of open-access journals, is offering a 9-month internship in our San Francisco office. Our intern will work with the in-house editorial and web teams and international editorial board, to help manage the community interaction with our most innovative publishing project to date, PLoS ONE.
PLoS ONE is a high volume, efficient and economical system for the publication of peer-reviewed research in all areas of science and medicine. But what makes PLoS ONE really different happens after publication – users will be able to annotate, comment on, and rate articles. To facilitate and moderate this post-publication interaction, we’re looking for someone with a scientific background to guide PLoS ONE through high growth, gather feedback from the online community and keep discussions on topic. The responsibilities of the online web editor include:
- Fielding questions from the online community
- Working to grow the number of participants and activity on the site
- Moderating the discussion threads (which will be scientific in nature).
- Helping to create and implement specific policies
Communicating technical issues to the web team and the online community
- Carrying out other technical and site administration duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good understanding of, and enthusiasm for, online communities, blogging and current online culture
- A broad understanding of science, and research experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com and use the job title PLoS ONE Web Editorial Internship as the subject of your email.
It should be fun!