Staff and editors of PLoS Pathogens and PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases are heading to the ASTMH Meeting this week (Nov. 18-22). Please consider attending the following PLoS journal-related activities and be sure to visit us at Booth 501 to pick up giveaways and meet the team.
- 3:15-3:45pm – Meet the Editor (Booth 501) – Xinzhuan Su, Associate Editor, PLoS Pathogens
- 9:45-10:15am – Meet the Editor (Booth 501) – Kasturi Haldar, Editor-in-Chief, PLoS Pathogens
- 12:15pm – Preparation and Review of Scientific Manuscripts for the American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene (Delaware B) – James Kazura, Section Editor, PLoS Pathogens
- 1:30-3:15pm – Special Session: The Global Burden of Anemia: Bridging Pathogenesis and Pathology (Delaware B)
Session Organizer: Kasturi Haldar, PhD, Editor-in-Chief: PLoS Pathogens
Co-Chair: Peter J. Hotez, MD, PhD, Editor-in-Chief: PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
Speakers: Jennifer Friedman, MD, MPH, PhD and M. Boele van Hensbroek, MD, PhD
Anemia is a major disease pathology associated with a variety of infections, malnutrition, and poverty. Assessing the global burden of anemia is critical to revealing the major causes and evaluating mechanisms of intervention. Parasitic infections are significant contributors to anemia, and linking parasite genomics and biology to pathologies of anemia is urgently needed for effective vaccine development in many parasitic diseases. This requires understanding the complexities of pathogenic mechanisms, acute and chronic anemia, and treatment strategies. This symposium will bring together strategies in measuring anemia due to distinct infectious agents, underlying mechanisms of anemia with implications for vaccine development as well as the utilization of model systems to understand human disease.
- 1:30pm – Targets and Mechanisms of Acquired Immunity to Malaria (Salon 1)– James Kazura, Section Editor, PLoS Pathogens
- 7:15pm – Malaria Genomics and Postgenomics Update (Salon 3) – Xinzhuan Su, Associate Editor, PLoS Pathogens
- 8:00am – Central Role of Macrophages in Parasite Immunity (Salon 1)– Tom Wynn, Section Editor, PLoS Pathogens
- 9:45-10:15am – Meet the Editors (Booth 501)-Maria Mota, Associate Editor, PLoS Pathogens; Tom Wynn, Section Editor, PLoS Pathogens
- 12:15-1:15pm – Workshop on Manuscript Preparation: How to get your work published (Delaware A)
- 3:45pm – Vivax Malaria Research (Washington 5) – Maria Mota, Associate Editor, PLoS Pathogens
Session Organizer: Serap Aksoy, PhD, Editor-in-Chief: PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
Co-Chair: Barbara Sina, PhD
This workshop is intended for students and junior scientists who are not extensively familiar with manuscript publication processes. The workshop will be interactive and discuss the manuscript submission process and provide tips on how to avoid the most common mistakes.